Re: Pqintaller for Windows Leaving me with Questions

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: "Bob Talbot" <roberttalbot(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pqintaller for Windows Leaving me with Questions
Date: 2005-04-20 05:05:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Apr 18, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Bob Talbot wrote:

> During the Service Configuration Window section An Account Name,
> Domain Name and a Password are created.
>
> The installer defaults to Account Name = postgres and Domain Name =
> MyDell.
>
> Now MyDell is my computers Name. Not my domain name
>
> Is there some reason the installer has chosen my Computer Name as the
> Domain Name and not my actual Network (Domain Name)?
>
> Can I or should I use my actual network name?

I'm not aware of any connection of PostgreSQL and Windows account
domains. I suspect that entry may be needed for some feature related to
Windows services. Connection to PostgreSQL just needs IP address and
port number.

> Should the Postmaster be on a separate network?

There is no reason it has to be that way.

> Lastly, in windows do I use Root or do I create other users to access
> and create databases?

Once the database cluster is created, the key issue is the *database*
user and not the Windows user account. People get this often get this
confused because the PostgreSQL utilities default to the Windows
account user name if no user name is supplied in the connection
specification. The database super user account is the starting point
for creating other users and deciding on their privileges including the
ability to create other databases.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL