Re: Solaris

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris
Date: 2003-04-23 15:54:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:44:02 +0530 Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:
> Just one real advice, from what I have heard on lists. If the sun
> machine
> supports, install linux rather than solaris. Apparently linux on sparc
> is far
> faster than solaris, at least at lower to middle end. Besides postgresql
> and
> solaris have had performance issues in past.

investigate OpenBSD and NetBSD as well (although if the Sun has multiple
processors, which is likely with an E, OpenBSD is no longer a candidate due
to lack of SMP support.) the *BSD systems are generally very stable and
reliable, and have a couple of advantages over Linux in a number of
situations.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592