Re: Compression and on-disk sorting

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Date: 2006-05-16 08:17:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Personally, I believe it would be worth it - but only to a few. And
> > these most of these few are likely using Oracle. So, no gain unless
> > you can convince them to switch back... :-)
>
> We do know that the benefit for commercial databases that use raw and
> file system storage is that raw storage is only a few percentage
> points faster.

Imho it is really not comparable because they all use direct or async IO
that bypasses the OS buffercache even when using filesystem files for
storage.
A substantial speed difference is allocation of space for restore
(no format of fs and no file allocation needed).

I am not saying this to advocate moving in that direction however.
I do however think that there is substantial headroom in reducing the
number
of IO calls and reducing on disk storage requirements.
Especially in concurrent load scenarios.

Andreas