deadlock_timeout parameter in Postgresql.cof

From: "Sachchida Ojha" <sojha(at)secure-elements(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: deadlock_timeout parameter in Postgresql.cof
Date: 2007-08-23 18:23:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am having some dead locking problem with my app system. Our dev are
debugging the app to find out the cause of the problem. In the mean time
I looked at postgresql.conf file. I found that there is a parameter in
postgresql.conf file deadlock_timeout which was set 1000 (ms). Normally
I see deadlock in the night or when auto vacuum is running for a long
time.

My question is

What is the significance of this parameter and updating this parameter
value will make any difference ?

Thanks

Regards

sachi