authentication

From: "Chris Faulkner" <chrisf(at)oramap(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: authentication
Date: 2003-09-23 13:49:43
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-jdbc

Hello

I am using postgres in the cygwin environment. I have two services set up -
one launches it with no networking and one with networking so that it runs
on port 5432. Both are fine in terms of the service and I can connect with
psql with both. However, I need to connect with a JDBC connection. I can get
the JDBC connection to work with networking but not without. SInce my Java
app always runs locally, I would like to leave the networking off.

The connection parameter for networking (all OK with this one)
<init-param url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/template1"/>

With no networking, it is as follows (doesn't connect)
<init-param url="jdbc:postgresql:template1"/>

I have read threads elsewhere which seem to suggest that it can be made to
work like this - any ideas anyone ?

The second part to this is about authentication. I would like to connect
with a low-privileged user, but all users should use a password. This is my
only entry in /usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf

# TYPE DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD
local all all password

WHatever change I make to this, psql never prompts when running on the same
machine. Does cygwin support pg_hba.conf ? If I use psql with -U and -W, I
get prompted for a password but it lets me in whatever I type.

Thanks for ANY help or pointers.

Chris