database is shutting down

From: Michael Brusser <michael(at)synchronicity(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: database is shutting down
Date: 2004-03-26 20:17:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We have a customer who reports a weird problem.
Too often the App. Server fails to connect to the database.
Sometimes the scheduled vacuum fails as well.
The error message is always the same:
FATAL: The database system is shutting down
But from what I see no one is trying to shut down the database at this time.

I am still waiting for the database-log to see if I can find a clue there,
but I wonder if someone knows what can make the database respond this way.

This is Pg 7.3.2, on HP 11.0, using the Unix Domain Socket.
Thank you,
Mike