Initial user and RedHat 8.0

From: "Joel FYAN" <jrfyan(at)msn(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Initial user and RedHat 8.0
Date: 2003-01-23 07:58:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I ran initdb as the unprivileged user 'postgres'. The output of the initialization suggested that the superuser account for the db cluster would be 'postgres'.

Next, I started the db server as per the instructions in the initdb output: /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data. The output to the terminal indicated that the db was started.

Finally, I attempted to connect to the db with the postgres user as follows: postgres$ psql -U postgres. I received the following message: FATAL: Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.

I tried using psql -u which lead to an explicit prompt for user name and password. I entered postgres and then the password for the system user. The same message was displayed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jfyan