Re: Bug and/or feature? Complex data types in tables...

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bug and/or feature? Complex data types in tables...
Date: 2004-01-15 09:18:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom

On Jan 3, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> The thing we are missing (i.e., what makes it crash) is an internal
> representation that allows a tuple to be embedded as a field of a
> larger
> tuple. I've looked at this a couple of times, and each time concluded
> that it was more work than I could afford to spend at the moment. The
> support-such-as-it-is for tuple return values uses a structure that has
> embedded pointers, and it doesn't make any effort to get rid of
> out-of-line TOAST pointers within the tuple. Neither one of those
> things are acceptable for a tuple that's trying to act like a Datum.

Would you mind explaining this a little more, or pointing me to where I
can learn more about this? I looked through the html docs for TOAST,
and only found a brief mention regarding large objects and user-defined
types, but it doesn't get into it in very much detail. (Well, there's
the sliced bread index entry, also. :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com