Options for protocol level cursors

From: James William Pye <pgsql(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Options for protocol level cursors
Date: 2008-06-12 16:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there anyway to bind a cursor with SCROLL and WITH HOLD at the
protocol level?
Or perhaps configuring it so after binding it?

I know you can use DECLARE, but I believe that this inhibits the
driver from being
able to select the transfer format for individual columns; it's all
binary or it's all
text. Also, I don't think I can DECLARE against a prepared statement,
save restating
the query, no?