Re: changing from postgreSQL 8.3 to 9.0

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Malm Paul *EXTERN*" <paul(dot)malm(at)saabgroup(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: changing from postgreSQL 8.3 to 9.0
Date: 2011-09-26 13:32:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Malm Paul wrote:
> I have a database created on ver 8.3 an have restored the database in
a new database in PostgreSQL
> 9.0.
> In the database i'm using a column storing "bytea".
>
> When trying to read the database with my java application, I have
problems reading from the bytea-
> stream.
> Integers read is not correct. I can see that there is something new in
ver 9.0: LC_COLLATE. Has that
> someting to do with my problem reading from "bytea".
> If so, what is the easiest way to get around this problem, when
importing the database that is created
> in PostgreSQL 8.3?

Collation or encoding matter only for textual data, not for binary data.

Did you update your JDBC driver to a version that supports 9.0?

With an old JDBS driver, you might have problems with the new
bytea encoding format in 9.0. You can test by setting
bytea_output to "escape" in postgresql.conf and see if that
works around the problem.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe