Re: Unique Session ID in PGSQL?

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Pavel Stehule *EXTERN*" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Durumdara" <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unique Session ID in PGSQL?
Date: 2011-05-19 08:21:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> Is there any function in PGSQL that returns an unique Session
>> identifier of the actual session?
>> For example a Bigint, or GUID, or etc?
>> Can I get the living Session identifiers from PG?
>
> try
>
> postgres=# select pg_backend_pid();
> pg_backend_pid
> 17327
> (1 row)

I don't totally understand the intended use, but process IDs have the
problem that they will get reused eventually.

So if that's not good enough, you can construct a session ID like
%c in log_line_prefix with the query found in the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-logging.html#GUC-LOG-LINE-PREFIX

Yours,
Laurenz Albe