Re: Power outage and funny chars in the logs

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Power outage and funny chars in the logs
Date: 2009-05-07 13:44:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Glyn Astill wrote:
> We had a power outage today when a couple of computer
> controlled power strips crashed (my secondary psu's will stay
> firmly in the wall sockets now though).
>
> I'd had a lot of fun pulling plugs out under load before we
> went into production so I wasn't particularly worried, and
> the databases came back up and appled the redo logs as expected.
>
> What did make me scratch my head was a short stream of @
> symbols (well they show up as @ symbols in vi) in the log
> file of the main server (others are slony subscribers).
>
> My only reasoning so far is that it's just garbage from
> postgres as the power died? The contorllers have BBU cache
> and drive caches are off. The only other thing I can think is
> it's something to do with me using data=writeback on the data
> partition, and relying on the wal for journaling of the data.
> The logs are on that same partition...
>
> Just wondered what you chaps thought about this?

You mean the error log and not the transaction log, right?

I would say that the file system suffered data loss in the
system crash, and what you see is something that happened
during file system recovery.

The strange characters are towards the end of the file, right?
Can you find anything about file system recovery in the
operating system log files?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe