Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 3

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Simon Riggs *EXTERN*" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 3
Date: 2008-04-22 11:55:41
Lists: pgsql-patches
Simon Riggs wrote:
> Patch applies, and works as described. Looks good for final apply.
>
> Few minor thoughts:
>
> * Text in pg_ctl should be WARNING, not Warning.
> * CancelBackup() API looks strange, not sure why
> * Need to mention that CancelBackup() is not the right way to end a
> backup, so that function and pg_stop_backup should reference
> each other
>
> Other than those, I like it. Very useful patch.

Thanks for the feedback!

- I have replaced "Warning" with WARNING".
- I have changed the API of CancelBackup() to return void.
  I don't use the return code anyway, and I guess it's less confusing
  and "strange" that way.
- I have added comments to disambiguate pg_stop_backup() and CancelBackup().

CancelBackup now writes a message to the server log if it cannot delete
backup_label - I hope that's not too verbose...

Yours,
Laurenz Albe