Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 2

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 2
Date: 2008-04-22 01:18:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 14:58 +0200, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> This patch replaces the previous version
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-04/msg00004.php
>
> As suggested by Simon Riggs in
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-04/msg00013.php ,
> a smart shutdown will now wait for online backup mode to finish.
> The functions that touch "backup_label" have been moved to xlog.c.
>
> As suggested by Heikki Linnakangas in
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-04/msg00180.php ,
> I have introduced a new postmaster state PM_WAIT_BACKUP.
> In this state the postmaster will still accept connections.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
> I'll try to add a link at the Wiki page.

Patch applies, and works as described. Looks good for final apply.

Few minor thoughts:

* Text in pg_ctl should be WARNING, not Warning.
* CancelBackup() API looks strange, not sure why
* Need to mention that CancelBackup() is not the right way to end a
backup, so that function and pg_stop_backup should reference each other

Other than those, I like it. Very useful patch.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com