Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jason Earl" <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-23 20:34:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[snip]
> So you've never worked on a project where the data is of high
> value, since in those circumstances the customer is always
> going to apply their own acceptance testing anyway. If you
> think that doesn't happen you try sitting through 2 solid
> days of Y2k testing on _one_ system and tell me customers
> never do their own testing.

Here's an old copy of my resume. You be the judge:
ftp://cap.connx.com/C.A.P.%20Biographies/DannCorbit.htm#_Toc441048186

The burden of reliablity testing must not rest solely on the end user.
That constitutes negligence on the part of the software vendor
(IMO-YMMV).

> > Therefore, I am going to stop harping on it.
>
> But there is no need to, as has been mentioned before, if the
> testing is not upto your level of testing submit something
> that makes it so. Having said that I do believe you mentioned
> that you didn't have the time to create something but you
> would be happy to test it, i.e. test the test.

I may or may not have time to work on a software test system for
PostgreSQL. I do a lot of PostgreSQL work here, and at some point I
think I will have valuable contributions to the project.