Re: Suggestion for optimization

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Jon Grov" <jon(at)linpro(dot)no>
Cc: "Mike Mascari" <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, "Doug McNaught" <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion for optimization
Date: 2002-04-05 21:04:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Grov [mailto:jon(at)linpro(dot)no]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 12:54 PM
To: Dann Corbit
Cc: Mike Mascari; Doug McNaught; pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Suggestion for optimization

"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com> writes:

> That's interesting. If Oracle is a MVCC database, how did they
> manage to perform ANSI standard Isolation Levels? It seems it ought
> to be impossible.

There's an excellent introduction to MVCC and snapshot isolation in
the PostgreSQL docs.

See
http://www2.no.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/mvcc.html
I have read these documents (and some others) now. It seems that
there is a serializable transaction level, and so the goal I was
after can be reached anyway. So never mind. I am at peace again
(and breathing a heavy sigh of relief).

But I am a bit puzzled. How can a serializable transaction be
performed in a MVCC system? I realize the Oracle does it, and also
Postgresql, but I can't picture how that would work.