Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0007: Remove DoS in PostgreSQL

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Sir Mordred The Traitor" <mordred(at)s-mail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0007: Remove DoS in PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-08-26 18:51:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[snip]
> And, yes, I agree he IS providing a valuable service -- with
> that I have no
> complaints. But there is a distinct civility and culture to
> this list, and
> I'd like to see it stay that way.

I want to make it clear that I think the best way to report a problem is
with formal, rigorous, complete structure. That structure should be
known to the receiving body. If there is a procedure or standard form
for producing the needed information, it is better to follow the
standard procedure.

On the other hand (and the point I had hoped to make) some people like
to take lined paper and write on it sideways [Bradbury's "Fahrenheight
451" quote]. Instead of complaining that they are writing sideways on
the page, extract the information of value. If the can be convinced to
"stop writing in a perpendicular manner" so that the majority will be
more comfortable with it, so much the better. But standardized or not,
it can still contain information of great value.