Re: [HACKERS] timestamp subtraction (was Re: formatting intervals with to_char)

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: gdavis(at)refractions(dot)net, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] timestamp subtraction (was Re: formatting intervals with to_char)
Date: 2006-10-06 01:32:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Oct 6, 2006, at 1:50 , Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm tempted to propose that we remove the justify_hours call, and tell
> anyone who really wants the old results to apply justify_hours() to
> the
> subtraction result for themselves. Not sure what the fallout would
> be,
> though.

I'm tempted to support such a proposal. Is this something that we'd
want to do for 8.2? There are some interval range checking fixes I'm
working on for 8.3. Perhaps this could be rolled into that as well?
Then again, range checking and behavior are two separate things.
Considering how late it is in the cycle, perhaps the change in
behavior should come in 8.3.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net