Postgres odbc driver bug

From: Keith Millard <Kmillard(at)pumatech(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres odbc driver bug
Date: 2001-05-01 13:36:36
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-odbc

We have found a reproducible problem with the Postgres ODBC driver. It has
to do with the parameter replacement feature in the driver. Below is a
piece of test code that shows the problem. We were able to fix the problem
by making a change to execute.c in the ODBC driver code (attached).

odbc driver version : Found in both 6.50 and 7.01.0004.
postgresql database version : Found with both 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 versions of
Postgres.
Server Operating System: Windows2000
Client Operation System: Windows2000

Explanation of the odbc driver bug:

/*****************************************
* ERROR HAPPENS HERE:
* If we set the buffer that we binded to column "text1" now, it will
FAIL.
* The SQLExecute in doQuery() will succeed (finding 0 rows), and the
* SQLFetchScroll call will return SQL_NO_DATA_FOUND.
*
* This is because of a bug in the odbc driver. The call to
SQLNumResultCols
* will execute the query in the driver, but the buffer that is binded is

* empty, so no rows will be found. This of course assumes that the
table
* doesn't contain any empty records for the "text1" column, which is
correct
* for our test. Then when we call SQLExcute, the driver will realize it
has
* already done the query work and will not do it again, even though our
* buffer for parameter substitution has changed (next line of code below

* this comment).
*****************************************/

Zip file is attached. The code is currently set up to fail, but I describe
in my comments that you can uncomment the code that sets the buffer before
SQLNumResultCols to make things will work.

Thanks for your attention,
Keith Millard

_____

<http://www.swifttouch.com/SwiftCardJump.asp?SwiftLink=95NN9NB1Q1FWA> Alex
Shore..
Senior Software Engineer..
Pumatech..
tel 603-888-0666 x1017..
..
ashore(at)pumatech(dot)com(dot)(dot)
www.pumatech.com..

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgodbc_test.zip application/octet-stream 3.7 KB
execute.c application/octet-stream 21.0 KB