Re: Synch Replication

From: "Czichy, Thoralf (NSN - FI/Helsinki)" <thoralf(dot)czichy(at)nsn(dot)com>
To: "ext Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synch Replication
Date: 2009-02-17 16:54:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi,

[I am working in the same team as Niranjan]

Niranjan wrote:
> > 3) Do you have test programs that can used
> > for synchronous replication testing?
>
> No, I've not used the automated test program. Yeah, since
> it's very useful, I'll make it before long.
>
> > 4) I'am thinking of trying load/performance tests as well.
> > What do you feel? Will it be too early to do this test?
>
> Any kinds of testing welcome!

Actually, this is just to let you know that for _stability_ and
performance tests we use the "Network Database Benchmark" which
we open-sourced (GPLv2) in 2006. Just recently one of our
colleagues wrote a _small_ patch that makes it work out of the
box with _PostgreSQL_/UnixODBC. The patch is now also available.

The main project page(s):
http://hoslab.cs.helsinki.fi/savane/projects/ndbbenchmark/
http://hoslab.cs.helsinki.fi/homepages/ndbbenchmark/

The patch:

http://hoslab.cs.helsinki.fi/savane/cookbook/?func=detailitem&item_id=14
1

The benchmark models a Telco home location register (HLR)
application with lots of short read/write transactions whose
ratio can be adjusted on the command line, e.g. to model read
or write heavy transaction loads. We'll re-use this benchmark
as we have lots of existing measurements for other databases.
Also we have a pretty good understanding of what to expect
performance-wise with the different transaction mixes. The
actual benchmark specification is available from here

The benchmark spec:

http://hoslab.cs.helsinki.fi/downloads/ndbbenchmark/Network_Database_Ben
chmark_Definition_2006-02-01.pdf

Thoralf