Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited

From: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited
Date: 2010-09-22 03:02:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If I commit in master
> before I start working on 9.0, and so on back, then the commits will be
> separated in time by a significant amount, thus destroying any chance of
> having git_topo_order recognize them as related. So we're back up
> against the problem of git not really understanding the relationships of
> patches in different branches.

Is the issue here the clock time spent between the commits, i.e., the possibility that someone is going to push to the specific branches in between or the date/time that the commit itself displays? Because if it's specifically commit time that's at issue, I believe `git cherry-pick` preserves the original commit time from the original commit, which should make that a non-issue. Even if you need to fix up a commit to get the cherry-pick to apply, you can always `git commit -C <ref-of-cherry-pick>` to preserve the authorship/commit time for the commit in question.

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen