Re: postgres oracle emulation question

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Lonni J Friedman" <netllama(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Randy Samberg" <Randy(dot)Samberg(at)palmsource(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres oracle emulation question
Date: 2005-03-23 20:30:29
Lists: pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Lonni J
Friedman
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:06 AM
To: Joshua D. Drake
Cc: Randy Samberg; pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] postgres oracle emulation question

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:38:13 -0800, Joshua D. Drake
<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:51:06 -0800, Randy Samberg
> ><Randy(dot)Samberg(at)palmsource(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> >>Does anyone know if there is a way in Postgres to emulate Oracle, in
other
> >>words make Postgres think it is an Oracle database? If so, do you
have any
> >>idea what percentage of people are doing this, and how successful
they are
> >>with this? Also, how is this done? Do you know of any good links
that
> >>discuss this. My manager is thinking about replacing a couple of
Oracle
> >>databases with Postgres, and would like to know the answer to this
question.

> >You mean make postgres slow, bloated & buggy?
> >

> I am going to assume that was a joke, but it is not helpful.

No, it wasn't a joke. I'm forced to maintain Oracle databases every
day, and I've yet to find any redeeming qualities, so it baffles me
why anyone would want to emulate them.

1. Excellent stability
2. Excellent scalability
3. Superb toolset
4. After-market support products abound
5. Stable, debugged access tools like the ODBC/OLEDB/.NET drivers

On the downside:
1. $$$!!!
2. Installation is bad, even for a simple client.
3. Reinstallation/upgrade is always a nightmare.
4. God help you if your Oracle home should ever get moved or you move
to a different disk drive.
5. Multiple OCI DLLs are sure to bring lots of intriguing surprises.
<<

On the whole, it's not terrible if you can afford it.