Re: count(*) and bad design was: Experiences with extensibility

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Ivan Sergio Borgonovo" <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: count(*) and bad design was: Experiences with extensibility
Date: 2008-01-09 09:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

A program that estimates cardinality by doing SELECT COUNT(*) is a bad
design. Assuming you have the wherewithal to vacuum your tables (or
have autovacuum enabled) a query against the system tables will be a
much better estimate of cardinality.

Now (some may argue) what if we want an _EXACT_ value for COUNT(*)? We
had better ask ourselves (in that circumstance) "Am I willing to lock
the entire table and scan it?" because that is what will be necessary to
get a truly exact value. Otherwise, you can get totals that are wildly
off-base if someone is doing a bulk import or deleting a large number of
records.

So:
SELECT reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname = <table_name>;

Is more often what is really wanted.

> Or did you just mean that count(*) is bad design in postgresql since
> there are usually better alternatives in postgresql?

If you are using COUNT(*) as an existence test, then substitute:

WHERE EXISTS(<criteria>)

Use the indexes (if possible) by WHERE clause restriction:

SELECT count(1) FROM <table_name> WHERE <condition_list>

Will use indexes if appropriate.

> I'm not joking. I'd like to learn.

I think this should be a FAQ because it is a (F)requently (A)sked
(Q)uestion.

IMO-YMMV.