Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date: 2005-12-20 21:08:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Antal Attila wrote:

> The budget line is about 30 000$ - 40 000$.

Like Jim said, without more specifics it is hard to give more
specific recommendations, but I'm architecting something like this
for my current app which needs ~100GB disk space. I made room to
grow in my configuration:

dual opteron 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
LSI MegaRAID 320-2X
14-disk SCSI U320 enclosure with 15k RPM drives, 7 connected to each
channel on the RAID.
1 pair in RAID1 mirror for OS + pg_xlog
rest in RAID10 with each mirrored pair coming from opposite SCSI
channels for data

I run FreeBSD but whatever you prefer should be sufficient if it is
not windows.

I don't know how prices are in Hungary, but around here something
like this with 36GB drives comes to around $11,000 or $12,000.

The place I concentrate on is the disk I/O bandwidth which is why I
prefer Opteron over Intel XEON.