Re: Some performance testing?

From: Mel Llaguno <mllaguno(at)coverity(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some performance testing?
Date: 2015-03-31 20:41:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

It would be interesting to get raw performance benchmarks in addition to
PG specific benchmarks. I’ve been measuring raw I/O performance of a few
of our systems and run the following tests as well:

1. 10 runs of bonnie++
2. 5 runs of hdparm -Tt
3. Using a temp file created on the SSD, dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M
count=1024 && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; dd
if=tempfileof=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
4. Using phoronix benchmarks -> stream / ramspeed / compress-7zip

I was curious to measure the magnitude of difference between HDD -> SSD. I
would expect significant differences between SSD -> PCI-E Flash.

I’ve included some metrics from some previous runs vs. different types of
SSDs (OWC Mercury Extreme 6G which is our standard SSD, an Intel S3700
SSD, a Samsung SSD 840 PRO) vs. some standard HDD from Western Digital
and HGST. I put in a req for a 960Gb Mercury Excelsior PCI-E SSD which
hasn’t yet materialized ...

Thanks, M.

Mel Llaguno • Staff Engineer – Team Lead
Office: +1.403.264.9717 x310
www.coverity.com <http://www.coverity.com/> • Twitter: @coverity
Coverity by Synopsys