RE: Strangeness/bug when working with my own datatype in P ostgreSQL

From: Солодовников Константин <ks(at)tcnet(dot)ru>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Strangeness/bug when working with my own datatype in P ostgreSQL
Date: 2001-02-26 10:58:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello, Tom.

I tried to reproduce the situation from the very beginning (created a new
DB, created the datatype in it) but the effect did not reproduce.
I continued the investigation and found that it is just suffictient to
re-create a datatype in an existing DB for the effect to disappear.
Thus, I think that the reason was in some accidental combination of
circumstances.
Unfortunately, I cannot recall the order of my actions, which lead to this
strange situation.
But I still feel curious about this fact.
If you also do, and if you think that my sources can help you in analyzing
the situation, here is the code I used to build my datatype:

1. Here's the code of the four "C" functions, used serve my "int1" datatype:

------------------------8<------------------------
#include "postgres.h"
#include <stdio.h>

typedef unsigned char int1;

// IN - OUT functions
int1 *int1_in(char *str);
char *int1_out(int1 *i);

// Convertion functions
int1 *i4toi1(int4 i);
int4 i1toi4(int1 *i);

**
* Input/Output functions

*/

int1 *int1_in(char *str)
{
unsigned int i;
int1 *result;
if ( sscanf( str, "%u", &i ) != 1 )
{
elog(ERROR, "int1_in: error in parsing \"%s\"", str);
return NULL;
}
if ( ( i < 0 ) || ( i > 255 ) )
{
elog(ERROR, "int1_in: error in parsing \"%s\"", str);
return NULL;
}
result = (int1*)palloc(sizeof(int1));
(*result) = i;
return result;
}

char *int1_out(int1 * i)
{
char *result;
if ( i == NULL ) return NULL;
result = (char *) palloc( 60);
sprintf(result, "%u", (*i));
return result;
}

**
* Type conversion functions

*/

int1 *i4toi1(int4 i)
{
int1 *result;
if ( ( i < 0 ) || ( i > 255 ) )
{
elog(ERROR, "i4toi1: %d is out of bounds (0...255)", i);
return NULL;
}
result = (int1*)palloc(sizeof(int1));
(*result) = i;
return result;
}

int4 i1toi4(int1 *i)
{
return (*i);
}
------------------------8<------------------------

2. That's how I built the library:
cc -I /usr/local/pgsql/include -I /usr/local/include -fpic -DPIC -shared -o
int1.so int1.c

3. Here are the sql statements I used to create the datatype:
create function int1_in(opaque) returns int1 as
'/usr/local/pgsql/data/int1.so' language 'C';
create function int1_out(opaque) returns opaque as
'/usr/local/pgsql/data/int1.so' language 'C';
create type int1 ( input = int1_in, output = int1_out, internallength = 1,
externallength = 3, default = "" );
create function int1(int4) returns int1 as '/usr/local/pgsql/data/int1.so',
'i4toi1' language 'C';
create function int4(int1) returns int4 as '/usr/local/pgsql/data/int1.so',
'i1toi4' language 'C';

Hope, this will help you.

Best Regards,
Konstantin Solodovnikov.