BSD psql problems

From: "Ingram, Bryan" <BIngram(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BSD psql problems
Date: 1999-06-16 21:12:11
Lists: pgsql-ports

I encountered this possible bug(?) while I was attempting to install 6.5 on
a BSDI BSD/OS 3.1 system.

The error appears when you attempt to run createdb or createlang (or any
script that employs psql from the command line.)

When trying to install plpgsql with createlang I get:

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ""

Subsequent testing reveals that

$ psql -tq -c "select 1"

generates:

Connection to database '1' failed.
FATAL 1: Database 1 does not exist in pg_database

Specifying the database:

$ psql -tq -c "select 1" template1

gets:

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ""

I've tried this using bash, csh and sh, all with the same results.

Am I doing something wrong, is this a BSD problem, or is there a bug in
psql?

Thanks,
Bryan Ingram