Foreign key - Indexing & Deadlocking.

From: Andrew Hall <andrewah(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Foreign key - Indexing & Deadlocking.
Date: 2009-12-29 22:59:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'm porting some Oracle software to PostgreSQL, & have a question about best practices with foreign keys.

In the Oracle environment, you're basically obliged to index all foreign keys (more specifically foreign key columns should appear on the leading edge of an index) due to the way that it manages locks.

Failure to index foreign keys in this way in Oracle often causes deadlock situations.

Although I could no find a mention of anything similar in the postgreSQL documentation, I just wanted to check whether or not the same was true of PostgreSQL to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Use Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/