pg_upgrade vs. pg_dump

From: "Perry, Hemy" <hemy_perry(at)mentor(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade vs. pg_dump
Date: 2015-01-20 19:22:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I am planning a migration from 9.1.7 to 9.4.0.
Based on my understanding, the recommendation is to use pg_upgrade over 'dump and restore'.
Is that right?

If I want to use pg_upgrade, I need to provide the -b bindir (--old-bindir=bindir) and so my second question is what if I'll provide 9.4 (the new PostgreSQL executable directory) also as the 'old-bindir', can it work that way? Always?
[I am trying to solve a problem that I might not have the old-bindir available on the machine and only the new-bindir will be available (as well as the old & new datadir of course :)]

Thanks
Hemy