Re: Forward compatibility of drivers

From: Robert Jacoby <robert(dot)jacoby(at)RACKSPACE(dot)COM>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forward compatibility of drivers
Date: 2012-06-26 18:50:19
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

It's a matter of finite resources. If the old driver supported the new db
then we wouldn't have to redeploy the applications that use it and may be
able to get away with doing smokes tests after switching the database.
Redeploying is not trivial and requires quite a bit of coordination. We're
also not just talking 1 app.

Given that it's not supported, then we would need to do much more
substantial testing to verify the way we use the old driver would still
work with the newer database. At that point the amount of testing likely
dwarfs the cost of redeploying the apps with the newer jar and we might as
well upgrade.

Bob