Re: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

From: Shijun Kong <skong(at)investoranalytics(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url
Date: 2012-05-04 17:59:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

When go DriverManager approach, we can do something like:
(http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/80/connect.html)

String url =
"jdbc:postgresql://localhost/test?user=fred&password=secret&ssl=true";
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url);

However, if you want to use javax.sql.DataSource approach instead of
DriverManager, the current implementation in PGSimpleDataSource(I am using
8.4, looks like 9.x has the same API) force you providing serverName,
PortNumber, databaseName, user, password one by one via setter methods.
Sure, you can parse a jdbc url to get all these properties and set them
one by one. But prefer a jdbc driver library can do that for end-users
which could save boilerplate code for everyone.