Table functions say "no destination for result data."

From: "Fernando Papa" <fpapa(at)claxson(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Table functions say "no destination for result data."
Date: 2002-12-06 20:20:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everybody!

I'mt playing with new table functions on a fresh postgresql 7.3 over
Solaris... I want a function who return several rows, so I define that:

-- Function: public.matcheo_cupido_tf(int8)
CREATE FUNCTION public.match_tf(int8) RETURNS public.vw_match AS '
DECLARE
vid ALIAS FOR $1;
result int8;
vnick varchar;
vsex varchar;
vdesde int8;
vhasta int8;
BEGIN

select into vnick,vsex,vdesde,vhasta
par.nick,par.sexo,pb.edaddesde,pb.edadhasta,pb.pais
from participantes par,
perfilesbusqueda pb
where par.identificador = vid and
pb.participante = par.identificador;

select pp.participante,par.nick,pp.sex,pp.edad,pp.desc
from perfilespropios pp,
participantes par
where pp.sex <> vsex and
pp.edad >= vdesde and
pp.edad <= vhasta and
par.identificador = pp.participante
;

return;

END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

So, I pass to the function a number. Inside the function, first I get
some information (select into) about the search profile, and then I do
the select who want to return (vw_match it's a view who have the same
structure of the second select).

The problem is, when I try to execute this function (in PHP) I get this
message:

SELECT match_tf(132);

Warning: pg_query() query failed: ERROR: SELECT query has no destination
for result data. If you want to discard the results, use PERFORM
instead. in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/postgres/ap_tf.php on line 17

I see this in postgresql logfile:

2002-12-06 17:00:13 ERROR: SELECT query has no destination for result
data.
If you want to discard the results, use PERFORM instead.
2002-12-06 17:00:13 WARNING: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL
function match_tf

The same error gave me if I try on psql:

cont=# select match_tf(132);
WARNING: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function match_tf
WARNING: line 21 at SQL statement
ERROR: SELECT query has no destination for result data.
If you want to discard the results, use PERFORM instead.
cont=#

What is the problem? Is this a good use of table function?

Thanks in advance!

--
Fernando O. Papa