Re: Fwd: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Przemysław Wójcik <jan(dot)przemyslaw(dot)wojcik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres-Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [BUGS] pg_trgm word_similarity inconsistencies or bug
Date: 2017-12-08 11:50:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Jan Przemysław Wójcik
> <jan(dot)przemyslaw(dot)wojcik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I'm afraid that creating a function that implements quite different
> > algorithms depending on a global parameter seems very hacky and would
> lead
> > to misunderstandings. I do understand the need of backward compatibility,
> > but I'd opt for the lesser evil. Perhaps a good idea would be to change
> the
> > name to 'substring_similarity()' and introduce the new function
> > 'word_similarity()' later, for example in the next major version release.
>
> That breaks things for everybody using word_similarity() currently.
> If the previous discussion of this topic concluded that
> word_similarity() was an OK name despite being a slight misnomer, I
> don't think we should change our mind now. Instead the new function
> can be called something which makes the difference clear, e.g.
> strict_word_similarity(), and the old function can remain as it is.

+1
Thank you for pointing this. Yes, it would be better not to change
existing names and behavior, but adjust documentation and add alternative
behavior with another name.
Therefore, I'm going to provide patchset of two patches:
1) Improve word_similarity() documentation.
2) Add new function strict_word_similarity() (or whatever better name we
invent).

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company