Re: Fractal tree indexing

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fractal tree indexing
Date: 2013-02-13 13:31:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:

> Heikki was talking about a generic WAL record type that would just
> store a binary delta between the version of the block when it was
> locked and when it was unlocked. That would handle any extension
> cleanly as far as data modification goes as long as the extension was
> working through our buffer manager. It seems like an attractive idea
> to me.

It will, for sure, works well when atomic page changes are enough for us.
However, some operations, for example, page splits, contain changes in
multiple pages. Replaying changes in only some of pages is not fair. Now,
it's hard for me to imagine how to generalize it into generic WAL record
type.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.