Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Reiss <thomas(dot)reiss(at)dalibo(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date: 2016-03-24 11:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

Since, patch for exposing current wait event information in PGPROC was
committed, it becomes possible to collect wait event statistics using
sampling. Despite I'm not fan of this approach, it is still useful and
definitely better than nothing.
In PostgresPro, we actually already had it. Now, it's too late to include
something new to 9.6. This is why I've rework it and publish at github as
an extension for 9.6: https://github.com/postgrespro/pg_wait_sampling/
Hopefully, it could be considered as contrib for 9.7.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company