Re: Negative imact of maintenance_work_mem to GIN size

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Negative imact of maintenance_work_mem to GIN size
Date: 2014-05-20 10:56:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> I found that sometimes larger maintenance_work_mem leads to larger GIN
> index. That is quite strange. ISTM that it's related to posting lists
> compression but I can't figure out how exactly it is.

It appears to be not related to posting lists compression. I did reproduce
it on 9.2.

create table test as (select array[(random()*10000000)::int]::int[] as v
from generate_series(1,10000000) g);
set maintenance_work_mem = '2GB';
create index test_idx1 on test using gin(v);
set maintenance_work_mem = '16MB';
create index test_idx2 on test using gin(v);

Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Table |
Size | Description
--------+----------------------------+-------+----------+-------------+---------+-------------
public | test_idx1 | index | smagen | test | 392
MB |
public | test_idx2 | index | smagen | test | 268
MB |
(2 rows)

The reason of it is that we filling entry tree with inserting without any
special optimization. Large maintenance_work_mem gives us ascending order
of insertion. Thus insertion is performed always into rightmost page
leaving rest of pages half-empty. Small maintenance_work_mem gives us more
random order of insertion. Such insertions makes pages about 75% filled in
average. Posting trees has special optimization for this case while entry
tree doesn't.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.