Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql

From: Vineet Deodhar <vineet(dot)deodhar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql
Date: 2012-10-11 09:07:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:

> The difference between SMALLINT and BOOLEAN (or TINYINT if Pg supported
> it) is 1 byte per column. If you had 30 smallint columns and quite a few
> million rows it might start making a difference, but it's *really* not
> worth obsessing about. Unless you have high-column-count tables that
> contain nothing but lots of integers of range 0-255 there's no point caring.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

To give an example, I have tables for storing master records (year master,
security master, etc.) for which pkid TINYINT is just sufficient.
These pkid's are used as fk constraints in tables for storing business
transactions.
The no. of rows in business transactions tables is in millions.
Here, I NEED to worry about the storage space occupied by the pkid fields.

-- Vineet