Re: A caveat of partitioning tables in the document

From: Kasahara Tatsuhito <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A caveat of partitioning tables in the document
Date: 2012-08-27 14:47:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Kasahara Tatsuhito
>> <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> The latest document (doc/src/sgml/ddl.sgml) says
>>> =======================================
>>> 2974 <itemizedlist>
>>> 2975 <listitem>
>>> 2976 <para>
>>> 2977 Constraint exclusion only works when the query's <literal>WHERE</>
>>> 2978 clause contains constants. A parameterized query will not be
>>> 2979 optimized, since the planner cannot know which partitions the
>>> 2980 parameter value might select at run time. For the same reason,
>>> 2981 <quote>stable</> functions such as <function>CURRENT_DATE</function>
>>> 2982 must be avoided.
>>> 2983 </para>
>>> 2984 </listitem
>>> =======================================
>>> but in my understanding, this problem will be solved on 9.2 (with
>>> parameterized plans).
>>>
>>> Or some issues still remain ?
>
>> At least this limitation "A parameterized query will not be optimized,
>> since the planner cannot know which partitions the parameter value
>> might select at run time." has been solved unless I'm missing something.
>> So we should just get rid of that sentence from the document.
>
> Yes, I think we can take that out now. The issue with stable functions
> still remains though.

Thanks for your replay.

I see we can remove the topic from the doc except a issue with stable functions.

Best regards,

--
Tatsuhito Kasahara
kasahara.tatsuhito _at_ gmail.com