Re: replication set-up

From: Lonni J Friedman <netllama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "ScientificWare-Luigi D'Angelo" <luigi(at)scientificware(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication set-up
Date: 2011-09-09 15:05:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:02 AM, ScientificWare-Luigi D'Angelo
<luigi(at)scientificware(dot)it> wrote:
> Hello everyone
> i'm totally new to postgresql. I am trying to learn how to set up a
> streaming replication.
> I've prepared my "primary" server and i would need a streaming replication
> on a  "hot standby"
>
> I'm reading the official guide downloaded from the postgre web page.
> I do understand the theory of how SR has to work, but the whole thing seems
> a little bit odd to set up and manage.
> I was wondering if there is some GUI tool to set-up, control and manage the
> replication with.
>
> I tried repmgr via command line, but i'm having problems while trying to
> compile the source on my Fedora15 test server

I had similar problems, and ended up having to get the full postgres
source and building repmgr against it. repmgr seems to have a lot of
rough edges which aren't helped much by very limited support. FWIW,
repmgr isn't a GUI so if that's your requirement, its not going to
help.

pgpool can be used for managing a database cluster with streaming
replication, and does have a web admin interface.