Re: Fractal tree indexing

From: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fractal tree indexing
Date: 2013-02-13 10:10:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> On 13.02.2013 11:01, Atri Sharma wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a curiosity I couldnt control. I was recently reading about
>> Fractal tree indexing
>> (http://www.tokutek.com/2012/12/fractal-tree-indexing-overview/) and
>> how TokuDB engine for MySQL is really working nicely with big data.
>

> Hmm, sounds very similar to the GiST buffering build work Alexander Korotkov
> did for 9.2. Only the buffers are for B-trees rather than GiST, and the
> buffers are permanent, rather than used only during index build. It's also
> somewhat similar to the fast insert mechanism in GIN, except that the gin
> fast insert buffer is just a single buffer, rather than a buffer at each
> node.
>

>> I was wondering, do we have support for fractal tree indexing? I mean,
>> it really does seem to help manage big data, so we could think of
>> supporting it in some form for our large data set clients( if it is
>> not happening already someplace which I have missed).
>

> There are no fractal trees in PostgreSQL today. Patches are welcome ;-).
>
> - Heikki

Hi Heikki,

Yeah,it is pretty close to GisT, but as you said, it still works on BTree.

On the other hand, one thing I really liked about Fractal trees is
that it attempts to address the problems with BTrees. I feel fractal
trees can provide us with a new way altogether to handle new data,
rather than building on top of BTrees.

I would love to chip in, but would require lots of help :)

Do you think building a new index in postgres with fractal trees as
the basis would serve the purpose? or is there something else we
should think of?

Atri

--
Regards,