Re: what Linux to run

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Angelico <rosuav(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what Linux to run
Date: 2012-03-03 12:14:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Leif Biberg Kristensen
> <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org> wrote:
>> My current gripe is this: The «stable» version of Postgres on Debian is 8.4.
>> In order to install 9.1...
>> This seems a rather roundabout way, is there a better one?
>
> We use Debian at work, and I went for the other favorite way of
> getting Linux software: compile it from source. That does mean that I
> have to personally support it, though, and it has a few other
> consequences (had to compile a couple of other things from source
> instead of apt-getting them), but it's always a valid option.

When I was running a VERY busy pgsql site and needed to be able to
report a bug, get a patch and apply it quickly. It's quite easy to
patch a system running source code. If you've got racks of postgresql
servers you'd build new packages. If you've got two servers in
failover, building from source is faster and easier.