Re: Exploring memory usage

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Smolsky <sitrash(at)email(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Exploring memory usage
Date: 2011-12-27 16:17:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> It depends on the workload. Your 16M setting would make many of my clients'
> systems slow to an absolute crawl for some queries, and they don't run into
> swap issues, because we've made educated guesses about usage patterns.

Exactly. I've had an old Pentium4 machine that did reporting and only
had 2G RAM with a 256M work_mem setting, while the heavily loaded
machine I mentioned earlier handles something on the order of several
hundred concurrent users and thousands of queries a second, and 16Meg
was a pretty big setting on that machine, but since most of the
queries were of the select * from sometable where pkid=123456 it
wasn't too dangerous.

It's all about the workload. For that, we need more info from the OP.