Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

From: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date: 2017-01-27 04:11:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > On 1/24/17 3:26 AM, Mithun Cy wrote:
> >> In my code by default, we only dump at shutdown time. If we want to
> >> dump at regular interval then we need to set the GUC
> >> pg_autoprewarm.buff_dump_interval to > 0.
> >
> > Just a thought with an additional use case: If I want to set up a
> > standby for offloading queries, could I take the dump file from the
> > primary or another existing standby, copy it to the new standby, and
> > have it be warmed up to the state of the other instance from that?
> >
> > In my experience, that kind of use is just as interesting as preserving
> > the buffers across a restart.
> >

> An interesting use case. I am not sure if somebody has tried that way
> but it appears to me that the current proposed patch should work for
> this use case.

Even I feel this should work.
In that case, we could add the file location parameter. By default it
would store in the cluster directory else in the location provided. We can
update this parameter in standby for it to access the file.
Thoughts?

--
Thank you,

Beena Emerson