Re: BUG #16108: Colorization to the output of command-line has unproperly behaviors at Windows platform

From: Michail Nikolaev <michail(dot)nikolaev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Tang, Haiying" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16108: Colorization to the output of command-line has unproperly behaviors at Windows platform
Date: 2020-02-22 20:08:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hello.

> The patch about making color by default [1] introduces the function terminal_supports_color(), that I think is relevant for this issue. Please find attached a new version based on that idea.

I am not sure it is good idea to mix both patches because it adds some
confusion and makes it harder to merge each.
Maybe is it better to update current patch the way to reuse some
function later in [1]?

Also, regarding comment
> It is disabled by default, so it must be enabled to use color outpout.

It is not true for new terminal, for example. Maybe it is better to
rephrase it to something like: "Check if TV100 support if enabled and
attempt to enable if not".

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/bbdcce43-bd2e-5599-641b-9b44b9e0add4(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com