Re: Streaming-SQL Database PipelineDB (Based on PostgreSQL 9.4) - Available in Beta

From: Dorian Hoxha <dorian(dot)hoxha(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Ferguson <jeff(at)pipelinedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming-SQL Database PipelineDB (Based on PostgreSQL 9.4) - Available in Beta
Date: 2015-04-25 11:33:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Jeff,

Looks good. Some questions:

- how are data stored? btree, lsm etc?

- indexes on the views
ex doing a view of counting daily views for each url I may need to query
by day or by url (table scans?)

- distribution / sharding?
how will stuff be consistent if the view's data and the event-row are in
different servers ?

- what is the consistency? examples:
do you write to disk on every insert? or do you disk-bulk-commit
different queries ?
Flipping a bit(and saving this change to disk) for each view-batch maybe
will be slow ?
Wouldn't it be better to pass over the data and compute all views in 1
pass and then group-commit all the view-changes?

- acunu used to do the same thing like you and got acquired by apple
(but they also kept the events)
maybe a way to keep the events intro different types of storage (like
s3, local-disk, hdfs etc)

- provide a downloadable db without registering and post to hn (people
have often seen your job-ads there)

- what's the pricing-type ? free with paid support or ....

Good luck