Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run
Date: 2015-11-24 23:32:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20 November 2015 at 22:58, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:

> The numbers speak for themselves here. I just want to be clear about
> the disadvantages of what I propose, even if it's well worth it
> overall in most (all?) cases.

My feeling is that numbers rarely speak for themselves, without LSD. (Which
numbers?)

How are we doing here? Keen to see this work get committed, so we can move
onto parallel sort. What's the summary?

How about we commit it with a sort_algorithm = 'foo' parameter so we can
compare things before release of 9.6?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>