Re: a raft of parallelism-related bug fixes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a raft of parallelism-related bug fixes
Date: 2015-10-17 13:16:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 October 2015 at 18:04, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> My recent commit of the Gather executor node has made it relatively
> simple to write code that does an end-to-end test of all of the
> parallelism-relate commits which have thus far gone into the tree.

I've been wanting to help here for a while, but time remains limited for
next month or so.

From reading this my understanding is that there isn't a test suite
included with this commit?

I've tried to review the Gather node commit and I note that the commit
message contains a longer description of the functionality in that patch
than any comments in the patch as a whole. No design comments, no README,
no file header comments. For such a major feature that isn't acceptable - I
would reject a patch from others on that basis alone (and have done so). We
must keep the level of comments high if we are to encourage wider
participation in the project.

So reviewing patch 13 isn't possible without prior knowledge.

Hoping we'll be able to find some time on this at PGConf.eu; thanks for
coming over.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>