Re: Beginner Question...

From: James David Smith <james(dot)david(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beginner Question...
Date: 2011-07-09 22:31:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear Michael, Tom ( et al),

Thanks for your help. Once I had edited Michael's code slightlyit
worked perfectly! Thank you! I had just this minute managed to achieve
a similar result, but by using two temp tables and about 10 more lines
of code..! Haha.

Unfortunately I am presented with 3425 rows of starting locations,
when I know that there are only 2233 journeys in the table. It seems
that some of the journeys have more than one starting point according
to the GPS. Bad data. I think what I now need to do are to find the
journeys that have more than one starting location, and to take some
sort of average of their GEOM column. This code identifies how many
starting points there are for each journey:

________________________
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS temp;

SELECT l.camdencrimes_link, l.osgb36_geom, date_time INTO TEMP TABLE temp
FROM camdengps3 AS l INNER JOIN (
SELECT camdencrimes_link, MIN(date_time) AS start
FROM camdengps3
GROUP BY camdencrimes_link) AS r
ON l.date_time = r.start AND l.camdencrimes_link = r.camdencrimes_link;

SELECT a.*, b
FROM temp AS a
INNER JOIN
( SELECT camdencrimes_link, COUNT(camdencrimes_link) AS b
FROM temp
GROUP BY camdencrimes_link) AS c
ON a.camdencrimes_link = c.camdencrimes_link
WHERE b >1;

But I now need to take an average of the starting points for each
journey where there are more than one starting point? Any ideas guys?

Thank you so much for your help...

James