Re: JDBC compression over SSL

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Edoardo Innocenti - SDB Information Technology Srl <edoardo(dot)innocenti(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC compression over SSL
Date: 2015-01-09 03:25:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 5 January 2015 at 23:36, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Yep... and I'm not sure it's actually doing SSL compression, rather than
> > compression of the stream *inside* the SSL socket.
>
> Worth noting here is that many/most people have abandoned use of SSL
> compression because it is now known to render the stream more
> decryptable. I do not know whether that objection also applies to
> doing separate compression "inside the socket" as you put it.

Whether or not it does, if it's not actual SSL compression it won't
interoperate with PostgreSQL - as you know, PostgreSQL doesn't support data
stream compression on the socket.

Some people are trying to use SSL compression as a workaround for this. I
think the real answer is probably to just add PostgreSQL protocol-level
support for compression, rather than trying to (ab)use SSL for it.