Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Alex Ignatov <a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?
Date: 2015-12-25 11:57:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 December 2015 at 19:45, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:

> >> Nobody in their right mind uses windbg though. Visual Studio is really
> where
> >> it's at and the Express versions make it much more practical.
>
> Well, FWIW, I have been working lately on a bug hidden in a custom
> background worker on Windows that crashed in some weird way with a
> 0x000000C5, and while I have a reproducible test case I have not yet
> found the time to look at it yet but I would think that this is
> generating a core dump, and that I will need to use windbg for that.
> Hence count me on the -1 team.

Huh?

You can use VS Express to debug a core dump. Per links upthread you can
get the platform to generate core dumps for you. No windbg required.

If you want to torture yourself using windbg go ahead, but it really isn't
necessary, you can use a sane debugger.